Thursday, September 9, 2010

Primate Update E-Newsletter, Vol. 2, Issue 9, Part 2


WHAT’S HAPPENING at PPS?

We Need Your Help!

Please join with us in our life saving work. Raising funds has become critically important with the huge increase in expenditures! The new extension, monthly utility bills, and facility maintenance are putting extreme financial pressure on the Sanctuary’s limited resources. Every contribution counts and is greatly appreciated!

Rescue Fund

A Rescue Fund will allow us to provide refuge for at risk animals needing to be brought to the Sanctuary immediately. Laboratories and pet owners often have deadlines for placement and may not contribute to the costs involved in getting the animal to Pacific Primate Sanctuary or provide for their housing and care. Your contributions will allow us to reach out to these monkeys and bring them to this safe haven.

Please send your tax-deductible donations to:


Pacific Primate Sanctuary
500-A Haloa Road
Haiku, HI 96708


Or donate on our website, www.pacificprimate.org using PayPal.


PPS PEOPLE in the SPOTLIGHT


Meet Kaitlin:
Kaitlin began volunteering at Pacific Primate Sanctuary at the young age of 15 years old. Throughout her busy high school years, Kaitlin came to PPS every week to care for the monkeys. She was a dedicated volunteer and brightened the sanctuary with her positive demeanor and good nature. After Kaitlin went to college, she returned as a PPS volunteer over the holidays. Kaitlin will soon be graduating from UCSD, but plans to pursue further studies in Primatology.
Kaitlin at her High School Graduation with Sanctuary Volunteers

Kaitlin describes how life changing her volunteer experience at PPS has been:

…I have been thinking about the sanctuary a lot recently. Working alongside the monkeys and volunteers has really shaped me into the person I am today. The memories that I have of the sanctuary are the foundation of a driving force in me to dedicate my life to zoological conservation.
I will be finishing my fourth year of undergrad at the University of San Diego in the fall with a Biological Anthropology major and a Biology minor. This summer I am … getting ready to go on a trip to Indonesia at the beginning of August. In Indonesia, specifically Borneo, I will be volunteering with the Orangutan Foundation International, helping them improve various structures around the sanctuary grounds. I will have a chance to meet Dr. Biruté Mary Galdikas and hopefully see how she manages to stay so motivated even when it seems like none of the world's conservation efforts are helping. After my adventure in Borneo, I'm hoping I'll have more resources to begin doing great things with my life! My long-term career goal is to get my Ph.D. in Primatology.


If I had not been given the opportunity to volunteer at the Pacific Primate Sanctuary at the young age of 15, I think I would be on a very different path. The most rewarding work I have ever done was those Sunday shifts with Skip and the interns, making sure all our non human primate friends had the most comfortable life we could give them. And for that I thank you Lucy, for believing in me and allowing me to grow into myself. I still read the talk story minutes every month and think about everyone often. I hope that I can one day return to Maui and the sanctuary!


PPS INTERNSHIP


Meet the newest PPS Intern: Hannah

Pacific Primate Sanctuary is pleased to announce the selection of our newest Resident Intern, Hannah. She will be joining us at the end of September. Hannah has recently graduated from UCSD with a degree Environmental Systems- Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution.

Hannah writes:
I am dedicated to wildlife and the conservation effort. I have a scientific background and the heart to learn more…The Sanctuary will be a great place for me to grow both in character and in knowledge. I would love to join PPS, since I have many common goals with PPS. I would like to work in the field of conservation. Since primates have been greatly impacted by human population growth, they are a great group of animals to help protect.


During the internship, I would like to learn more about the different species of primates and the important roles they play in their natural environment… I want to continue the efforts of many others to protect the natural resources that we have and provide a better place for future generations.

Welcome Hannah, we are excited to have you join us at the end of September!




This Blog and its content is copyright of Pacific Primate Sanctuary, Inc.—
© Pacific Primate Sanctuary, Inc., 2009. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only
you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material
You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

No comments:

Post a Comment